Exploring things of significance to me (Non-poetic.)

Tuesday 21 June 2011

A woman in all her 'phenominal-ness'

My father said education was not for me
As I pleaded with him to let me learn how to read
“It is the boys that are the bread-winners of tomorrow!
And you as a girl must proceeded to follow
The custom of eleven year old bride
A forty year old's pride: his seniority will guide, and provide."
Guide and provide?! GUIDE AND PROVIDE?!
He beat me until I succumbed to his stride
Abused me with words designed to dismantle my pride
The only thing he willingly supplied
Was sex (and of course the occasional mistress)
A life of pain and unhappiness
But there was no time to cradle my own distress
For I was too busy ensuring my children were fed and dressed
Tending to an HIV positive husband despite his ungratefulness
Earning a BA, MA and PhD in spite of the stress
Ovulating opportunity despite my being oppressed
AND YES!
I was too busy being a woman is ALL her 'phenominal-ness'

Sarah Kenyi © 2010


This poem is dedicated to all PHENOMENAL women who have overcome painful trials in grace and integrity. The poem was inspired by Tererai Trent in an episode of Oprah, her story was very moving. Watch her story here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment